Founded in 1926, Winter Haven Hospital (WHH) has an outstanding reputation for superior, patient-centered care. The PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program is based at Winter Haven Hospital’s main campus, with opportunities to gain experience throughout the BayCare Health System.
The Department of Pharmacy is responsible for the pharmaceutical care services for approximately 468 acute care beds with an average daily census of nearly 280. It consists of over 50 team members, including 23 clinical pharmacists, 27 pharmacy technicians, along with administrative and support personnel. Additionally, the department leads several quality improvement programs, such as the Medication Use Safety Teams, Adverse Drug Reaction reporting, Medication Use Evaluations, Automatic Therapeutic Interchange, and other medication use activities.
Clinical pharmacists at Winter Haven Hospital are actively involved in medication order review, therapeutic monitoring, patient care planning and management, student and resident preceptorship, and interactive relationships as part of the health care team. Pharmacy technicians provide an integral component of the drug distribution process through the use of an automated, point-of-use dispensing system.
Winter Haven Hospital PGY1 Pharmacy Residency
Our ASHP-accredited residency program offers a comprehensive experience through a variety of training opportunities. The program builds on the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) curriculum to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for pharmaceutical care of patients with a wide range of conditions.
This adult PGY1 program is designed to provide 12 full, consecutive months of training at Winter Haven Hospital. The resident will collaborate with the medical staff to assure rational prescribing of medications, work with patients to enhance their knowledge of the medications they receive, and partner with nursing to improve the overall safety of medication use. Most of the residency can be adapted to the resident’s specific areas of interest.
All residents are required to complete learning experiences in core subject areas considered essential to pharmacy practice. A broad range of elective learning experiences are available that allow the resident to be flexible in pursuing individual goals.
Additional learning experiences include:
- the development and completion of a research project
- medication use evaluation (MUE)
- Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) drug monograph
- development of oral and written communication skills
- participation in various departmental and hospital committees
- experiences in hospital administration
- the ability to practice pharmacy in various areas throughout the health-care system.
The PGY1 residency program core rotations include:
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Practice Management/Therapeutic Policy
Required longitudinal rotations:
- Heart Function/Ambulatory Clinic
- Longitudinal Activities and Staffing
- Longitudinal Research
Elective rotations may include:
- Ambulatory Care
- Transitions of Care
- Competitive Salary
- Medical Plan with prescription drug coverage
- Dental and Vision Plans
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Opportunity to Contribute Pre-tax Dollars to a 401 (k) Plan
- Life Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability Coverage, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage
- Professional Travel Reimbursement
- Team Member Services: Team members receive a discount rate on a variety of events, programs, and tickets to area attractions
Requirements for Acceptance:
- The applicant must participate in the MATCH process
- Online application through PhORCAS
- Letter of intent
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcript from all colleges of pharmacy attended
- The applicant must possess a Pharm.D. degree from an ACPE-accredited college of pharmacy
- The applicant must have active Florida Pharmacist License within 90 days of the residency start date
- The applicant must participate in an on-site interview
Residency candidates should submit all requirements for acceptance through the PhORCAS website. Once submitted, applications will be reviewed and candidates will be selected for on-site interviews. After the interviews are completed, a rank list will be submitted to ASHP via the National Matching Service. The ASHP Resident Matching Program will provide the program with the matched candidates.
Deadline to apply for the 2019-2020 residency class: January 10, 2019
Jovino Hernandez, PharmD. BCPS
Jovino received his Doctor of Pharmacy from the University of Florida. He completed training at Winter Haven Hospital. Jovino is the Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator for Winter Haven Hospital and Winter Haven Women’s Hospital.
- Jovino Hernandez, PharmD, BCPS
Administrative/Therapeutic Policy, Longitudinal Activities and Staffing, Hospitalists
- James Alcorn, PharmD, BCPS, AAHIVP
Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine
- Shadi Atallah, PharmD
Internal Medicine, Longitudinal Activities and Staffing
- Lacey Charbonneau, PharmD, BCGP
Transitions of Care
- Derek Dixon, PharmD, BCPS, CPh
Emergency Medicine, CriticalCare, Internal Medicine
- Keith Hamm, PharmD, BCPS
- Laura Johnson, PharmD, BCPS
Internal Medicine, Cardiology
- Sharjeel Khan, PharmD
Cardiology, Internal Medicine, Ambulatory Care, Residency Coordinator
- Amanda Leader, PharmD, BCPS
- Natoya Muirhead, PharmD, BCOP
- Steven Nelson, PharmD, BCPS
Infectious Disease, Hospitalist
- Nishi Ramcharitar, PharmD, MSHI
- Erika Rugay-Buchanan, BCOP
Oncology, Internal Medicine
- Karen Siegel, PharmD
Critical Care, Residency Coordinator
- Karin Thatcher, PharmD, BCPS
Longitudinal Research Project Experience, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine
- Glenn Wysock, RPh, CPh
We strive to provide excellence in pharmacy training at all of our sites and offer a wide variety of training opportunities that prepare our graduates to excel at the next level of their career.
About Central Florida
Winter Haven Hospital lies at the center of Central Florida. Nearly equal distance from Tampa Bay and the space coast, our location provides quick access to a variety of theme parks, beaches and other unique experiences.